Top 8 Reasons to go to Geoff Roes Alaska Running Camp by Edie Harbaugh
1. Alaska is unbelievably gorgeous. If you've seen photos, they don't even capture 15% of the natural beauty.
2. Geoff knows Juneau trails inside and out. I saw trails I wouldn't have gone on by myself. Including a whale surfacing within sight of our coastal trail.
3. Worried you can't keep up with a Western States champion? Local Juneau runners come to the runs. Geoff seemed to know every runner in town, and they were all gracious hosts to us - even when I was slow.
4. Hate early mornings? Worried it'll be like junior high but worse? Runs only take up 2-5 hours a day. The days are long, and we never started before 11 AM. Plenty of time for whale-watching, charades playing, magazine reading, and…
5. FREE Beer samples at Alaskan Brewery! I don't even drink beer! But it was fun to hang out at the brewery. There's a strict limit of 6 samples per patron :)
6. Geoff & his girlfriend Corle met when he was a cook and she was a baker. All of the food was delicious!
7. SWAG! Everyone got a goody bag with a Montrail hydration pack, multiple pairs of DryMax socks, a big bottle of Udo's Oil, and a coupon for a free pair of Montrail shoes online! Not to mention the huge basket full of Clif products to try every day.
8. Did I mention Alaska is gorgeous?
|Edie running up above Juneau!|
Honestly, I had multiple doubts before (and after) I signed up. Would it be grizzled no-fun athletes, waking up at 6 AM and eating chia seeds? NO! Geoff & Corle & the Juneau folks are incredible hosts. Alaska is beautiful. With 5 days to focus on running, I could experiment with new food, like carrying an avocado/turkey wrap. The runs are as fast or slow as you want to go. And there's plenty of time to just enjoy Alaska.